Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by DrSpiv
130 miles last week, 90 the week before, and 50 so far this week. No food, just gatorade/water so far (~4.5 bottles of fluid for 3.5 hours riding, temperature swings from about 95f to 75f over that time). I figured I would have to get in to the food thing when I was ready to go past 50, but enjoying the weight loss in the mean time.

Saddle lowered 1cm, will try that out for this afternoon's ride. Fortunately I do recover pretty quickly.
Kind of what I thought. Eat more. Gatorade and water, even at the rate you're drinking it (which is good), is only like 30 cal/hr, which is much too little for a ride over 2 hours. Besides the Gatorade and water, eat 1/4 of a Clif bar every 15 minutes, starting after the 1st hour if you ate a meal before you started your ride, or at the very beginning of the ride if you didn't. Or eat the whole bar all at once, starting the same. Tear open the Clif bar packages before you start, and put them in your jersey pocket. Or use some other food source, but make sure you get ~200 calories of carbs per hour. Anyway, that's the reason you fade after 40 miles. Your weekly mileage is enough to easily ride 50 miles. You could do a century if you had your nutrition down and your knees weren't bothering you. Don't increase mileage to over 100 miles/week until your knees get better.