View Single Post
Old 06-15-11, 10:53 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MLKATO
I am looking for street slicks or tires that are street happy for a mtb. I would like them to be 26" tires and not 700 that are on hybrids. While I only have one bike (for now),I want some tires that will be comfy for a long ride. I don't ride on mountain trails,maybe a dirt path if anything. I've heard that slicks are excellent for the street and I'm toying with the idea. Do they have anything in the hybrid tires in a 26" tire?
Depending on just what you mean by "street happy" I'd suggest you look at the Schwalbe Marathon Plus ATB. They have a zig-zag pattern down the middle for low rolling resistance and knobbly parts towards the sides so that if you do sink into a bit of mud you get some traction. You won't get a lot of traction in mud - I've frequently found myself fishtailing in even a small amount of mud using them. Now I use a Marathon Extreme on the rear which also works well, has a more aggressive tread pattern but doesn't seem to hold me back on the road.

With the Plus on the front and Extreme on the back I did 260 miles in four days (three days of cycling, one rest day), mostly on the road.

The Plus tyres seem to be pretty much bulletproof. On the long ride I just mentioned I was with a group of guys and we had to stop every once in a while for assorted punctures. At one point I pulled an inch-long thorn out of my tyre, chucked it in the hedge, and carried on.