View Single Post
Old 06-18-11, 01:43 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cs1
I'm looking for a fitness or hybrid bike for my son. He's a big kid and needs something sturdy. Any suggestions that won't break the bank? We're planning on doing most rides at 20 miles or less on a MUP or the road. Thanks in advance.
It's a bit hard to know what to say without knowing what you mean by "a big kid" and "break the bank". "A big kid" could mean anything from a 150-pound 7-year-old to a 400-pound 15-year-old, and what might break the bank for me would be pocket change to Bill Gates.

As a general observation you'll probably end up with a hybrid bike on the basis they will take in most MUPs, are fine on the road, and are usually built to take a heavier rider. A mountain bike will probably look like it's a lot more fun if he likes the idea of trails but it takes more effort to turn knobbly tyres on tarmac than the smoother tyres you'll find on a hybrid. A drop-handlebar bike will look like more fun if he likes the idea of speed but may not be built to take his weight (again, hard to say with nothing more than "a big kid" to go on)