Old 06-18-11, 05:53 PM
dem219

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tried the Zipp 404 Carbon Clinchers today

The shop near me had some reps from Zipp today letting people try their wheels. They had a couple Specialized S-work Tarmacs set up you could try, but I rode by on my bike and they offered to swap a pair on for me to take for a ride.

It was a really nice opportunity and the reps were really helpful and nice, so I feel bad saying I was a bit underwhelmed. They were definitely nice wheels, especially compared to my 5 year old Easton Vista SLs. They rolled smoother, the cornering and handling was tighter, and overall everything felt a little bit more effortless. But it really wasn't a huge difference, the overall effect was only marginal. And, I suspect half the difference was psychological; me just wanting them to feel better.

Granted I only got to ride once around the park, about 5 miles...its possible I would notice more of a difference with a longer more strenuous ride. But frankly I expected to be much more wowed by $2700 wheels. The good thing is my upgrade lust is now diminished for awhile.