Old 06-19-11, 05:25 PM
kiltedcelt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MTBMaven
The Ultra Marathon Cycling Association has lots of good training advice here: http://www.ultracycling.com/training/training.html

2) Start working on a nutrition plan during these longer rides as well. Shoot for 250-300 calories per hour, take in electrolytes in some form (Hammer Endurolites, Nuun tablets, eleteWater, Cytomax, etc), and drink 3/4 to 1 large bottle per hour. I like to use a 20-15 minute countdown timer on my watch on repeat mode to help me remember to drink. Read through the link above and the Hammer Nutrition site for more information on this very important subject. Hammer products are great and a perfect place to start when looking for products. Just make sure to fully test whatever product you pick well before the event.

3) I would highly recommend spending the $100-$200 to get a professional bike fit. Over use injuries are common when starting with longer distances. Performing the same operation over and over for 6+ hours can lead to injury if your fit is not correct.

Good luck!
r
Thanks for the advice! What do you eat to get 200-300 calories in you per hour? I've eaten Clif Bars on longer rides in the past, finding them to be more palatable than Powerbars, but just barely. I'm sure with this century ride being supported there will be ample stops to fuel up and replenish drinking water. I will be taking your advice about professional fitting as well. I had been thinking about it and there is a LBS that does dynamic fitting for $100 which includes adjusting clipless pedals as well as everything else. I'm going to cut back on the water some as well since even I think I'm drinking a bit much for a one hour ride.