Old 06-20-11, 11:31 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Smallwheels
My problem was caused by riding a saddle that didn't fit right with all of my winter clothing piled on me. I had underwear, long pants, and then my motorcycle riding pants with the winter liner in them. There were times when moisture would build up because there wasn't enough ventilation. If there were ventilation I would have been too cold in the below zero weather. That is when the saddle sore started. It was my first one. I hope it's my last one.

Perhaps corn starch will be the thing that saves me if I'm still riding in cold weather next winter. I really hope I'm in the desert southwest by next January.
I suggest more "modern" cold weather clothing for next winter. I use cheap "poly-pro" long johns from Target--these are amazingly warm, very light, and durable. Underarmour long underwear is probably even better, but costs a lot more. Tights made specifically for cycling would be best of all for warmth and preventing saddle sores, but they are fairly expensive.

I tend to wear long pants that are made for hiking as an outer layer in winter. These come in varying weights, and the fabric is designed to be quick drying and stain resistant. They're available from LL Bean, Cabela's and other sporting goods/camping outlets.

"Think Outside the Cage"