Old 06-20-11, 04:25 PM
hobkirk
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WHAT"S GOING ON? All my parts arrived w/o manufacturer's boxes - Is this kosher?

I was having some difficulty finding the parts I wanted but found them at BlueSkyCycling.com - and they had good prices. I haven't heard of them so I called to verify they had the parts in stock and to verify they sounded legitimate.

I ordered 3 "major" driveline items...
  1. 5026-1134 SHIMANO XT M771 CASSETTE 10-SPEED (11-34)
  2. 9133-SGS SHIMANO DEORE XT M771 REAR DERAILLEUR (SGS LONG )
  3. 6209 SHIMANO ULTEGRA CN-6701 CHAIN 10-SPEED
...and some cables...
  1. 3099 SHIMANO DURA ACE BC-7900 ROAD BRAKE CABLE & HOUSIN
  2. 3011 SHIMANO BRAKE CABLE
  3. 3088-RD JAGWIRE SLICK STAINLESS BRAKE CABLE (ROAD)
  4. 3026 JAGWIRE HYPER SLICK STAINLESS INNER SHIFTER CABLE

Everything arrived promptly but nothing was in a product box. I've bought Shimano chains, RD's, and cassettes before and they always arrived in boxes. Everything was in a generic plastic bag and the only label was a sticker with the Bluesky Cycling part number. The RD did have the Shimano spec/instruction sheet included. No instructions or even labels. A bare Shimano brake cable could only be told from the bare Jagwire brake cable by the part number. Note that the picture of the BC-7900 does show the factory packaging. None of the descriptions mention missing boxes or OEM (?) packaging.

Nothing showed any signs of having been used. But there were defects I observed, which makes me wonder if there are other defects...
  1. The chain had a kink - I straightened it using two sets of pliers - no other problems noted, it felt good except for that
  2. The cassette had at least two defective cogs - gear 1, 11-tooth, had 2 teeth bent, and gear 2, 13-tooth, had one bent tooth. I will demand a replacement, but in the meantime I set them straight enough to test the drivetrain.
  3. The packaging showed zero damage.
Before I call them, I thought I'd ask you all about this.

Is this some type of scam? Should I simply return everything?

Thanks.