View Single Post
Old 06-21-11, 10:44 AM
kleinboogie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smessvader
As covered in other threads, the Levi comeback in the TdS was pretty amazing. Now, though, I'm waiting for more coverage of how the three "seniors" of Team Radio Shack have each won a major stage race this season -- Kloden with Basque Country, Horner with California, and now Levi with Suisse. For one, as much as the team has been mocked for hiring all these aging guys, it's clear they still have the goods. Second, the tension over who is the leader for the Tour is going to be pretty high (not likely that any of them could win the whole thing, but any of the three could easily podium) -- as bad as the fight over sprint leadership on Garmin. Third, clearly the team was originally built around Lance, but it seems that his retirement has allowed these guys to race for themselves more, and with great effect. And fourth, plain and simple, the team is having a great frickin' year.
Agreed, RS is on fire as are others like Team Liquigas (Peter Sagan quickly becoming one of my favorite riders after he showed up to a local group ride after the ToC). Chris and Levi have been high on my list for some time mainly because they get the PR thing (see Chris's blog) and they're nice guys. Always smiling, just loving to race. I dig Levi on the Velonews homepage with that "Holy smokes, I won!" smile on his face.

Lance only affected the TDF, the others have been riding for themselves in the other races since day one.

They have to think about the future though which it looks like they're doing which is great. Looks like they made a good decision moving Ben King up. I haven't followed all the riders but the team is looking really strong.

P.S. Added one db to my ignore list.