View Single Post
Old 06-21-11, 11:16 AM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Your blog link suggests you like riding dirt/gravel/packed sand roads?

Head southeast via these roads toward Lake Wabaunsee. I think there are stores around there (I think they are on the highway, right across from the lake); if not, you can re-supply in Alma. Head back the next day via different roads. That's a bit further than you were asking for. The back roads south of I70, on the way toward Alma are very nice. I'm less familiar w/the roads north of I-70.

Be aware that in Kansas the prevailing winds are (nearly always) from the south. Get a super-early start on the day you leave, should get you much of the way there before the winds pick up. On the way home you'll have the wind at your back.

Alternatively, make your way west to Milford Reservoir - pick one of the camping areas around there.

If you're more ambitious, make your way south to Council Grove - interesting town. But I think the roads around Alma toward Lake Wabaunsee are more interesting (look at a map -- the crooked ones are nice; the straight ones are, well, straight). But if you wanted to do a tour on pavement, just ride south to Council Grove, look around the town, spend the night at Lake Council Grove north of town, then let the wind blow you home the next day.

Last edited by BengeBoy; 06-21-11 at 12:22 PM.