spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by KateE
Thanks for the info...loved the picture of the turtles! I think I was most concerned with bears and wondering if I should take a bear proof device for all the smelly stuff I will be taking along. When car camping, raccoons and skunks are easy to deal with because you can just lock it all in the car. I suppose the bear proof device would be overkill for the raccoons and skunks but it certainly would work.

I am headed to Pittsburgh next Wednesday. Our original plan was to start in McKeesport. Last night I read about the new trail opening up and the difficulty of the one road leading to McKeesport. ...so I am interested in learning more. Let me confirm my itinerary and get back with questions.

We may be staying in Pittsburgh on the way back, but not confirmed yet. You know...it all depends on timing and when we leave DC that day.
I really would not worry about bears on the trail. They are rare and mostly stay clear of the trail from what I understand.

If you are driving in, I would suggest the Yough Shore Inn for the first night in Boston. You can take a room for $60 +$20 for the extra person or camp in her back yard. Either way it includes breakfast and showers.

Or you can stay at Dravo. Free camping and a really nice site but no showers and a pit toilet (in a really nice concrete structure ).

You can park here if you want. It will be 35 miles to Mckeesport through the city or 63 by way of the Montour. But it sounds like you might have a sag for the whole trip? A Wednesday arrival will make it difficult if not impossible for my tour guide services but maybe on the way back.