View Single Post
Old 06-25-11, 09:29 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't say what type of shifters you're using, but be aware that the Deore XT FD requires different cable pull than the Ultegra FD. Which means that it won't work with Ultegra STI shifters.

I have Ultegra STI shifters and an Ultegra triple FD on my touring bike, combined with a 9-speed 48/36/26 Deore trekking crank. Had to remove one of the spacers from the drive-side of the bottom bracket to get the chainline to work. With a little adjustment, shifting is fine. Perhaps not as smooth or quick as with the original Ultegra triple crank, but I have no complaints. There was another recent thread where a rider complained that lowering the Ultegra FD to accommodate a 48-tooth chain ring meant that the derailleur cage was hitting the chainstay. That wasn't a problem for my frame+derailleur, though I probably had the FD set a bit higher than normal due to having to avoid a water bottle boss.

No idea what happens if you simply replace the chainrings on the Ultegra crank, unfortunately.