Old 06-25-11, 03:28 PM
SarahLou

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AllenG
As far as which Kalkhoff, the Tasman is their least expensive model and its components are over the top, hydraulic brakes (over kill), Shimano Nexus IGH (internal gear hub--very high quality), suspension seat post, dynamo front hub (it powers the lights, which come standard--never need to change batteries for the lights and front hub motors can't be fit with a hub dynamo), good rack, fenders, coat guard, and a wheel lock (really nice to have if you don't want to lug around a chain or u-lock in low crime areas). If you wish to later add an Xtracycle Free Radical cargo hauler to the bike it will fit fine. Trailers will attach easily too (sometimes that's difficult with rear hub motors).
If you add up all the things that come standard with the Tasman compared to adding them to a bare bike the price is not that far off. The dyno hub for instance, to add that to a normal bike the hub is going to cost near $100.00. Add labor, rim, and spokes and it is going to bring that price closer to $250.00 for the front wheel alone.
Allen - Hi - I just got off the phone Kalkhoff. The guy was really trying to sell me the Sahel because of my bumpy road conditions; when I mentioned the Tasman or Agattu he was concerned about getting lots of flats. Ugh. So when he got the message that the Sahel was WAY over my price range, he switched to the Tasman. Ok, so now I'm worried about the flat tire thing. Was he using that as a ploy to get me to buy the more expensive bike, or is it a genuine concern?! I suppose I could get different tires but geez, at that price, I don't really want to spend more money on the bike. Any thoughts?