Old 06-26-11, 03:47 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclotoine View Post
Why not try dimpling it? If it is a weird size it is almost useless to the OP so no harm in trying. the race is good and it is a nice complete campy headset. FTW, I have never tried dimpling a headset up, but I would try it. I have done fork crowns a number of times. I have used shims way way back in the day when I never would have thought of dimpling.
I think that's a reasonable idea, and I may try it. First, though, I will try miamijim's suggestion to shim it with a soda can. I doubt very much that that approach will work, but I have been surprised before, and it's very easy to try.
As I mentioned earlier, my main concern with the dimpling approach is its possible "cheese grater effect" on the inside of the head tube. Of course the pressed part of the headset doesn't move, so it would only be an issue when installing and/or removing it, as khatfull noted. But however slight, it WILL have that effect, it seems to me. I can imagine that it might take a few tries to get the right amount of dimpling. That seems likely to require several test fittings, which means that the inside of the head tube will be "grated" with each fitting. Maybe that won't cause much damage, but it will cause some. I'd rather not cause ANY damage, if I can help it.
I'll report back on my efforts to shim the cup in place.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash