Old 06-26-11, 03:46 PM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Getting a sense of comfort in a group is most important. You should also understand group dynamics.

I think driving habits reflect group riding ones. If you find yourself slamming on the brakes semi-regularly, you need to assess what you're doing wrong. Even in bumper to bumper rush hour traffic you shouldn't have a lot of heart stopping moments.

I've never seen a good driver ride poorly in a group.

If you're the preferred designated driver in your circle of friends, if you've never rear ended another car, then you're probably pretty good at reading group dynamics. I've crashed on the bike so it's not like I'm perfect.

If you're not good at reading group dynamics, I don't know what to suggest. Stock up on Tegaderm?

Regardless you should figure out a way to learn how to touch your front wheel to another bike's rear wheel (which includes falling over), bump to the sides, and standard handling exercises like track stands, bunny hops, etc.

The more confident you are on the bike the better you'll be (from a solo point of view).

The better you are in a group the better your chances of staying upright.
I'm a "slow" driver. You know, the guy who observes the speed limit, comes to a full stop at stop signs, and ignores everyone yelling at him as they zip by. I now understand why I typically finish way down in the standings of races. I thought it was my conditioning; now I know that it may be my demeanor.