View Single Post
Old 06-29-11, 11:37 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
Don't know about any future posters who may bring this thread back from the dead, but I'm not really looking for the Q-R types. I want something that will go on the tab at the back of the rack and stay put until such time as I decide to remove it.

Stay mounts, seat post mounts... I'm afraid that I would damage them in my current bike transportation scheme. On its side in the back of a SUV in the morning, on bus rack in the morning, and on its side in the back of a cargo van.
lol, this whole topic is complex...

So your problem is that the whole light is jumping off, right? Not just half the light?

If that's the case, and you are using a tail light that clips onto a mount, I have a simple solution - glue the light to the mount. No, really, think about it - the mount is held on by screws, if you need to remove the whole thing from the bike for some reason you can unscrew it. And changing batteries doesn't require removing the light from the mount either - you take off the front of the light to get at the batteries.

If you are attaching the light to a loop on a bag, like on my road bike I attach my blinky to the loop on the rear of my underseat bag (because my seatpost has my Dinotte light taking up the space on it - but I need the 2nd blinky for riding in a group where my Dinotte is to bright and unfortunately doesn't have any low enough brightness setting), I couldn't find anything that actually worked from the store. I tried several a few years ago. Eventually I have up and did a "do it yourself" solution - I took a very small drill bit and drill 2 holes in the pure-plastic clip part. Then I threaded through one of those twist tie things that have metal in them. I clip the light onto the back of the bag, and also secure the twist tie around the loop as well - haven't had a light come off after I started doing that.

P.S. Here's kind of a picture of what I mean on the gluing thing -

Slide it in and glue it in there.