Old 06-29-11, 07:28 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Soma Smoothie, Miyata City Liner, Specialized FSR Comp, Fuji Professional

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
I'm 56. I dealt with prostrate issues from around 2000 to 2003, not sure why it got better, thought it was the mega bike mileage over a 10 year period when I was racing. I ended up on a recumbent for 3 years or so, then discovered Brooks saddles, then found some cheap Sellas that worked. In the interim, I had gained weight, so am fighting that. I have a torn bicep tendon and clavicle impingement in the R shoulder that keeps me from swimming (I'm a better swimmer then cyclist). I had a bad ankle sprain last May as well as a fracture of the 3rd metatarsal on the L foot as of 3 weeks ago.

In other words, I've always been prone to injury and my work (stagehand) is physical and I get hurt a lot.

I fight through it, cause I'm a cyclist. I deal with the time off required to heal, while looking forward to resuming my activities. I recognize that I can no longer backpack and hike much, which I did a lot of into my 30's, due to a disc causing nerve issues in my feet, as well as multiple ankle sprains over the decades that left my ankles on bad shape. Oh and I have a rash on my butt, a version of athletes foot that I've been fighting since last Sept and that at times made riding uncomfortable till I found a treatment that keeps it in check and allows 2 hr rides and maybe this summer will allow a break-thru to longer 50-70 milers and hopefully the centuries I used to love.

I fight thru it, as I have a love for cycling that I discovered it 23 seasons ago. I will not give up this activity and still plan on grand adventures - Italy, the Great Allegheny Passage and C&O Canal trail, The Bon Ton Roulet some year. I use these as goals to train and ride and keep active. I have riding buddies that share my goals and we help each other thru the injuries - that's very important, to have friends that share your interests and goals.

If I have to I will resort, at age 85, to riding my touring bike, which by then will be the only bike I own, and do short loops around town, or wherever the wife will let me, knowing that I forget things and get lost.

I will fight thru it and enjoy riding my bike as it's a freedom like no other.

EDIT: I wrote this last night and thought about it today and realized that I only suffer injuries, with no major ailments or the dreaded Big C, so am incredibly lucky, while being incredibly injury prone. As a BTW, I went over the h-bar this morning on a solo road ride, while staring up at a light, behind some cars, my F wheel goes into a crack and over I go. My helmet did the Bell Ringer off the pavement and now I know what that means (cracked the helmet as well). Some road rash, a sore neck, otherwise OK. Thus in many way's my injuries as well as the mental attitude to get thru them, pale when dealing with a cancer diagnosis, or heart issues, lung, kidney, you name it. I may well have that in the future and possibly I'll have the mental toughness to deal with it like all the other crap that happens to me. Knock, knock.

SB

Last edited by Steve B.; 06-30-11 at 07:43 PM.