Old 06-30-11, 11:10 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Prostate Cancer and Bypass but they were years ago and well into the past. Survived them and got back riding so nothing lost.

But the thing that got me was the mental agony of that "C" word. Didn't hit me for a long while as I was more concerned about getting fit again and making certain that I was fit---But gradually lack of enthusiasm hit me and it was purely a mental thing. I had just got over a serious condition- Why should I put the milage in?- What if I do walk up the steep hill?- Why should I be the one up the front chasing the fit guys? And I nearly gave up Mountain biking to take the easier rides with the roadies. Don't think i would have given up cycling but I just did not have the enthusiasm to push myself that little bit harder to make the rides enjoyable.

I set a target- a hard target,. We have an offroad ride that I had attempted 8 times before and it was right on the limit of what I used to be able to do. Kill or Cure time and I decided to do it the following year. 7 months to train for it and it was 4 or 5 nights a week riding or down the gym- and I got myself in the best shape I had been in for years. Did the ride-just about but just to prove it was not a Fluke- did it for the next 3 years aswell. 2006 and I called it a day on that Hard mountain biking.

Still do a bit of mountain biking- but in 2006 I also got my first road bike. Yeah-- I looked for an easier time. It is easier on the road-- but you can also find some hard rides to do if you want to---But for them you have to train -just like mountain biking except you don't have to spend as much time in the gym- and you don't get quite as muddy.

Physical and medical problems can hit you hard. Just watch out for the mental side that can hit you while you are recovering. That can hurt just as much.

Spike Milligan