Old 07-02-11, 08:48 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by runner pat
And trail running is good for general conditioning for the bike as the muscles used when climbing are the same as cycling. But sprinting is a whole 'nother animal.
+1

Originally Posted by mcafiero
I'm struggling with this one. I know that weights are imperative for sprint training. But there's something missing here. The sprinter that will succeed the most has focused on their fast-twitch muscle performance. There's no better way to do this than sprinting and plyometrics.

I am not saying that you should run sprints 7 days a week to perform best on the track. Obviously to get faster on the bike you need to train on a bike. But you can do other things to enhance your overall performance. I'm saying that sprinting on a bike harnesses the combination of raw power (weight training), explosive power and fast-twitch muscle performance (running sprints and plyometrics are one of the best things you can do).

I'm suggesting that adding ONE DAY of running sprints could do great things to your routine.
Man, it looks like you are trying to logically prove that what you like to do (running) will help you on the bike. That won't work.

Yes, triathletes run and bike...but they definitely are not sprinters. I don't know any track sprinters who run for training. Get your cadio on the bike.

Also, your weekly program listed above is not good at all as a track sprinting program. It has one day for cycling...and that's a race day. Race days provide the lightest training load of any day of the week. Further, your gym days are for upper body. As a track sprinter, your gym days will focus on lower body work (squat, deadlift, leg press, power clean...depending on the training phase) and any upper body work will be only to supplement the program.

I would imagine that if you have aspirations to be competitive on a regional/national level a coach would strip out most, if not all, of your running.

Now, keep in mind, I'm writing from an "I'm ALL IN" perspective. If this is a leisure activity for you, and you are riding for fun when you can, then ignore everything I just wrote.

Last edited by carleton; 07-02-11 at 08:56 AM.