Old 07-02-11, 04:52 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by junkyardking
I've been car free since 2005. At the time I decided to put the commute between my legs, and never look back. But times change. I no longer live, work, play, and go to school within a 15 mile radius. My commute to work by bike is 50 miles and takes 3ish hours, but if I drive (there is a car which I have borrowed a few times, especially on rainy days) then it's only 30 miles and takes 45 minutes. If I cycle to work I'm in a good mood all day, but I miss out on social functions since it takes so long. If I drive, then I still get to see my friends, but I'm going back on a huge part of how I've defined myself for the last five years. Public transportation is an option, but its a total drag (one bus, two trains, up to 2.5 hours).
Is it time for me to just get a car and (for the time being) stop being a politico for the cycling community? Should I just suck it up, star car free, and devote all my spare time to the commute until I can move closer (probably at the end of December once I finish my first semester at my new college). Would getting a car make me a total hypocrite?
Is there anyone else out there who has a similar issue? Am I totally over thinking this?
Any and all suggestions, opinions, criticisms, and knock knock jokes are welcome.
I am currently car free at present-meaning that I don't actually own a car. I do have a valid CA driver's license since I was twenty years old for the various needed tasks or chauffeuring others (little choice in the matter) to drive around. I have to drive (by renting a car) when I have to drive others to the hospital or doctor's/dentist's appointments. I have to drive when leaving my bike(s) locked anywhere is probable for being stolen. I drive in areas of Los Angeles/neighboring counties that do not have decent public transportation access. I drive to haul large loads impractical to place on any of my bikes and/or cover the distance with this load in a reasonable amount of time. I drive when I am not in the physical condition to cycle (moderate-severe illness). I drive when I am strapped for time (bikes are far slower to cover the same distance). And I generally don't cycle outside of a 6 mile radius.

Do not let anyone else try to put you down or sway you that you are less a car free cyclist than anyone else here. Much as I like (even love) my little fleet of bikes, there were times in the past & times in the foreseeable future that I must drive. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Last edited by folder fanatic; 07-02-11 at 04:57 PM.