Old 07-12-11, 03:47 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
We have a 2000 Tandemania Comp (that we hope to find a buyer for) - sounds like KHS upgraded a few things in four years. The rear hub on ours is Shimano that is threaded for a drag brake. The tab on the frame is for the drag brake and will not work for a disk brake, unless there is some strange adapter that I am unaware of. Ours came with an 8 speed freehub - I have since moved on up to 9-speed gearing.
Your chain was likely long overdue for replacement, as was the freewheel. I would guess you plan to convert to a 9 speed setup, which makes sense if you plan on touring with this bike. Especially since you plan on building wheels. In the meantime, if you can make it ridable with minimal expense.............I don't have the experience or expertise to say whether redishing or adding spacers, etc., is the way to go. Someone here will have good advice on that.
General observation: Is there room to add spacers on both sides? if that is done, is the wheel centered and does enough axle go beyond the dropout on each side to secure the wheel?
We have found our KHS to be a great basic tandem. It's rock-steady at speed.

Last edited by JanMM; 07-12-11 at 07:57 PM.