View Single Post
Old 07-13-11, 11:43 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Once again an extension of the "Metro Boston" definition but a great ride.

Left Newton around 9:30 am for another cross state ramble. Got a little screwed up in Weston with Concord Rd. to Glezen Lane being closed to thru traffic from 8 am to 4 pm.. The sign said, "SEEK ALT ROUTE" and provided no detour signs that I could see, so, not knowing how much of a detour was needed, I ended up going an extra 5 miles or so and winding my way back onto my route. I also took a little different route after Wachusett Reservoir, Goodale Rd. off of 140 to Malden St. (discovered there are 2 "Malden Streets" off of Goodale and added another mile or two to my ride when I took the wrong one and ended up on a dead end.

Hit a couple of rain showers but, thankfully, no thunder and lightning as I made my way past the Quabbin. But hit a pothole in the rain and broke a spoke on a descent and my wheel went seriously out of true (rubbing on the brakes). I had to go more than 25 miles like that because the only spoke wrench I had with me was on the multi-tool and it was a poor fit and impossible to use.

Finally got to a bike shop in Northampton and bought a nice Park Tool spoke wrench that was the right fit (now I've got an extra for my tool bag) and a spoke- fortunately, it was the non-cassette side. Trued it up on the sidewalk outside the bike shop (where all great repairs are made).

Pounded out of Northampton hoping to beat more rain that was on it's way but it's a long climb out of there going west on Rt. 66 so it was slow. Got caught in another shower but it was refreshing climbing the big hill with a little liquid air conditioning. Fast descent to Huntington and then the long climb home. Climbed up the hill on Wade Inn Road rather than extending the mileage but reducing the incline by going up Rt. 8. and then did the final climb to my house. I was once again chased by my new neighbor's TWO pit bulls as I crawled by at about 6 mph. I have no idea how I got away from them. By some miracle I outdistanced them. Admittedly, disappointed I didn't get to spray them with my newly concocted pepper spray I mixed up especially for them and carried the entire 137 miles just in case they were out.

Cleaned up and went out to dinner with my wife, ate like a pig and am finally going to bed very late but happy for another great ride.