cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Gauging interest: Bottom bracket article at The Headbadge

The rendering rather suggests what I'm getting at - I'm considering adding a new page to The Headbadge explaining all the common bottom bracket oddities, including:

Thin cup vs. thick cup: How cups affect your spindles, and how to tell the difference
Offset spindles vs. symmetrical: Why the published width of your BB spindle won't tell you all you need to know
Crank offsets: Why two cranksets will give the same chainline with vastly different length BB spindles needs a much shorter BB spindle to give the same chainline
Cobbledegook: How to build a bottom bracket by matching a set of cups to an unrelated spindle.
Chainstay crimping: Compromising when your frame and choice of chainrings force you to move your cranks farther outboard than optimum chainline would suggest
Tapers: A database of what works, what doesn't, what works as a kludge, and figuring taper wear into your spindle choice
Installation depth: A subcategory of tapers - essentially, how to tell when your ISO crank has bottomed out (or when you've been torquing cranks way too much).

Any interest? If so, I'll proceed. If not, I won't bother.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 07-15-11 at 08:31 AM.