Old 07-16-11, 11:10 AM
OrionKhan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kind of Blued
Random thoughts:

I want to see Voeckler and Rolland do the "Schleck 1-2" on the Schlecks.

Contador looks like hell. I can't tell if he was in WAY better form at the Giro, or if Scarpone and Nibali just made him look fast.

Agreed on the pathetic Schleck attacks. What Andy did to the finish line is what he needs to do on the mountain, but in smaller bursts.

The Schleck's constant looking-around-while-soft-pedaling and "assessing opponents' weaknesses" phase should have been over two days ago. What should have been learned from the phase is that, as of now, Sanchez and Evans are the problem, not Contador.
Contador looked like the AC were used to seeing at the Giro. It could just be a combination of his form peaking in May along with the crashes suffered here taking the snap out of legs. He really looks like he's just surviving. But I wouldn't be surprised if he's able throw one huge attack out there on 18 or 19.

Originally Posted by SouthFLpix
I just looked at the rest of the stage profiles, and I really think Voeckler has a real chance. There are a few downhill finishes left and he's one of the best descenders of the GC men (alongside Sammy Sanchez). All he needs is to take off at the top of climb and he could easily put 30 seconds into everyone. If he has 2.30 on Evans in the TT with yellow on his shoulders, who's going to catch him? I don't think anyone can make up 2.30 on a man as motivated as T. Voeckler would be going into the final time trial.

The GC men have only 2 more stages to bring Voeckler back, 18 and 19. That's it.
I think you're right. Voeckler and Evans are going to be real problems to the finish. For all of the hype about AC and AS, I really think everyone is surprised Voeckler finished as easily as he did with them.