View Single Post
Old 07-16-11, 07:55 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,935 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
One of the things that people forget in these discussions is tyre pressure, especially when we are talking about the type of riding the OP mentions, and not racing.

I've been through the 32, 28, 25 and 23 scenarios. I currently run 23s on the CF single at 90-95psi, well under the maximum recommended pressure and they are comfortable for the distances I do, and certainly not discernibly slower.

I've run 25s and 28s at max or higher pressures, and my butt has taking a beating each time. We run 28s on the tandem, and again they are around 95psi; I inflated them to 105psi for a century a while ago and boy, was that a mistake.

Playing with tyre pressures, for me, is an important starting point. Not enough people do it, in my opinion.
Actually I think they go hand and hand. Running the larger 25c tire lets me run less pressure than with 23c while not increasing the risk of a pinch flat. There is where the true comfort factor comes in from.