View Single Post
Old 06-25-05, 02:43 AM
peanuts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by supcom
Be aware that flying in the US with a bike and BOB may be pretty expensive. Check the website for the airlines you plan to use, but the common rules are any checked item that exceeds 62 inches (157 cm) measured as length + width + height will cost $50-80 US extra. A BOB box exceeds these dimensions as does any regular size bike in a box or bag. Thus, if you have a bike and BOB, be expected to pay $160 US for every flight you make.

Also, if that wasn't bad enough, any checked item that weighs more than 50 lbs (22.7 kg) will be charged $50-80 US in addition to any oversize charges. And, if you are still with us, if you have more than two checked items, each additional item is assessed a $50-80 US charge in addition to all the previous fees.

Overseas flights often have different (more relaxed) rules than domestic. I suspect that a US/Canada flight is considered under the domestic rules.

Also, people have been reporting a high incidence of theft from their bags since our 'Homeland Security" has been protecting us from old ladies with fingernail clippers and WWII Medal of Honor recipients.

Once again, check with the airline(s) you plan to fly. I don't want to discourage you, but it's better to know what you are up against.
Thanks supcom,
i have 2 flights in the U.S and i thought i'd get pegged for the bike after looking up the airline site but didn't realize the bob would get done too, i was toying with the idea of actually driving one leg instead, it may work out a better way to see some more sights and get some more riding in.