Old 07-21-11, 03:33 PM
Howzit
Big Blade

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
Although the obstacles facing the African cyclists are daunting, it's apparently a popular sport in much of Africa and the riders are highly motivated. I expect they will eventually break into the elite ranks of cycling.
You are exactly right. Although I am not black, I am one of few Africans to have gone to race as a pro in Europe after racing in Africa. It is a very challenging thing. For example, when I won the national junior TT, i beat 5 other riders; that was the national turn out for the event for juniors under 18. Going to Europe was like starting over, the level and participation was an eye opener for me.

Within a few years though, there were about 6 of us racing in Europe. The national events back home had grown to groups of around 15 or so. I actually raced in South Africa before Europe, which has normal size pelotons, but that peloton got very familiar very quick.
Cycling has become very popular, but in South Africa remains a predominantly white sport. In other African countries how ever, its mainly black riders.
Believe me, there was nothing about "team sport" when racing in Africa. I had the opportunity of racing in the All Africa Games, The Commonwealth games, and finally the World Championships in Portugal before racing in Europe, and there was nothing 'team sporty' about it. It was, and is, each man for himself.
I would say in another 50 years or so, the Tour will be dominated by black athletes

Last edited by Howzit; 07-21-11 at 03:37 PM.