View Single Post
Old 07-22-11, 01:52 AM
pocky

Bikes: '00 Kona Yee Ha, '83 Schwinn World (fix), '96 KHS Montana Descent (w/ RS XC-32), '05 Fort Ro.SLC (totaled), '01 Burley Rumba tandem, '15 Mattioli R1, '14 Nashbar Big Ol' Fat Bike, '96 Fuji Marlboro folder (drops), '04 Jamis Satellite, '04 Giant TCX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
As for riding on the wrong side of the road, I see that once week or so on my commute. Usually it's some teen-approximate kid not yet aware of real traffic patterns or an older gentleman whose bike is utilitarian transportation.
There is still a widely-held, grossly incorrect myth out there that riding *against* traffic is safest -- probably because this is an arguably valid rule for pedestrians, and many cyclists think of themselves as such. I remember reading an article some time ago about a town trying to pass a "bicyclists must ride against traffic" law during my lifetime, and it fortunately got shot down. I can't seem to find any references to it on the Internet, though I found plenty of people who claimed to be from a state (they didn't say which) where that was the law.

I did, however, make my whole night by finding this, which is truly, truly fantastic: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...e-bike-lane!!!

Last edited by pocky; 07-22-11 at 02:17 AM.