Old 07-22-11, 01:45 PM
TRH_42

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Suggestions for a 20mile all-weather, year round commuter?

I'm looking for a bike that I'd be using to commute to work 20 miles each way and school (a measly 3 miles each way). From looking around and reading as much as I can find, I've come up with a dream sheet of features and was wondering if anybody knew of a bike that fit them or a bike that could be modified to work. If it matters, I'm a big guy. I'm 6'3" and I weigh 250lbs (which is considerably less than I was a year ago, thanks to diet changes and biking)

Features and explanations of why I think I need them:

Internally geared hub: Will be riding in the snow, salt, and rain... Internally geared hubs are lower maintenance and reliable, or so I've read/heard

Belt drive system: Will be riding in the snow, salt, and rain... Belt drive systems are lower maintenance and reliable, or so I've read/heard

Fenders: Want to keep all the street crud from splashing up on my glasses and off my back while riding in the rain/snow/etc (doesn't have to come with as long as they can be added)

Rack and panniers: Will have to carry things to and from work/school/store, so I'll have be able to attach a rack and panniers. (doesn't have to come with as long as they can be added)

Disc brakes: better stopping power in wet conditions. I'm a big guy so I need decent stopping power.

I was going to choose the Trek Soho Deluxe but I've found out that it is no longer available/being made. Trek is supposedly making a very similar bike that will come at the end of September, but I figure it couldn't hurt to look around. Surely this isn't the only bike that fits the requirements...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not the most familiar with bike mechanics, but I am willing/wanting to learn.

EDIT: I've been looking around for a while and I'm not finding much for a decent price, thanks to the belt drive system. If I were to drop something from the list, I suppose that would be the first to go.

EDIT2: I have also considered having 2 sets of wheels (edit3: I meant tires, not wheels), one that is more of a road bike so I can go faster and one for the winter months with more traction.

EDIT4: I'm dropping the belt drive system because I'm not happy with the added cost for a bike that has it and the other features I'm looking for (I'm really liking the bryant belt alfine, but its almost $2000). I'm considering dropping the IGH too... I really like the idea behind the IGH but I'm not sure how practical it is in terms of cost/value. I am a college student with an $8.75/hour job after all. I do have money saved up, but I'm reconsidering using all of it on a bike.

Are derailleurs all THAT bad for winter commuting? I'm still worried about it freezing up, constantly having to wash everything off to get rid of the salt, etc.

Last edited by TRH_42; 07-22-11 at 09:38 PM.