Old 08-01-11, 11:06 PM
junkyardking
Beer

Bikes: 2010 Motebecane Track, 2010 Novara Randonee, 1984 Bridgestone 600, 198? Bianchi Columbus custom build, 196? Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DucatiTorrey
thanks, i have a mt bike, i just like a challenge. The SS wont be impossible up the hill, just more curious on peoples opinions on handlebars and pedals / cleats. I have been looking at some dual use SPD pedals with only one side clipless so if i decide to ride in town sans shoes, it will be more comfortable.

thanks for your thoughts though. i already feel welcome here.
I use these on my main commuter bike.

Shimano a530.
They're pretty awesome. Shimano makes another model where the non SPD side is quill instead of platform (that is to say, spiked versus completely flat) which may be better if you get a lot of rain in your parts. My only complaint about these pedals is that if it's raining and you're wearing tennis shoes, then your feet may slip around a little.

As far as bars are concerned, maybe consider a pair of mustaches. I know they aren't for everyone, but I love mine. They offer a drop like position, but are a lot wider so you have tons of leverage, which makes for easy hill climbing. I once suffered a mechanical on a road bike and I couldn't get out of one of my higher gears, but I had those mustache bars and was able to climb much easier to the end of the ride because of the leverage they offered. Are you intent on keeping it fixed, or would you consider single speed? Because if you really want it fixed, but need a ratio that can handle a climb and decent of equal grade, then you're really going to want a brake as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
50-8219-SIL-ANGLE.jpg (11.1 KB, 12 views)