View Single Post
Old 08-07-11, 06:45 PM
bikenh

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium
As far as the "next step" - things will get hazy. For the most part - being able to ride all night - and then still be able to ride well another day is about as far most people go. In theory - any healthy person should be able to ride a bicycle for 24 hours - but you know - TV and french fries and beer ruin it for most.
Now this does bring up a bit of a stupid question. It has been 16 years since I did any night time biking. My old Nightrider headlight batteries have long since flopped over dead and are totally useless anymore. I don't remember how I approached things back 16 years ago to really be able to answer my own question...it's been WAY too long ago and I think I only ever did two maybe three rides after dark back then.

How much of a drop in speed do the guys normally see during the overnight hours compared to the daytime hours? Do they reduce their speed thanks to reduction in visibility/lack of full daylight. I realize some reduction would come from getting tired but how much if any comes from the darkness/safety factor.