View Single Post
Old 08-09-11, 10:35 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclogenesis
Yep.. Peak weight back in 2007 was 255lb.. Diet and exercise and an awesome job (I was a trainee meteorologist being trained to forecast and being paid for it.. best year of my life) and I dropped to 196lb (I am 5'9")
My mum got cancer and I started to travel a lot between Melbourne and Sydney to see her and travel a lot for work and started stacking on the stress and like many here medicating with food and more so with beer...
Mum died in 2009, I took a job in the USA (escape route) My most recent peak was just before I left Aus in late 2009 at 230lb..

Back on the weight loss wagon now (did a Dry July to kick it off...) down to 217lb REALLY need to lose it now, last "peak" came with terrible health consequences, very high BP, cholesterol, Gastric reflux (which felt like a heart attack, landed in ER)
A lot of parallels there. I have to travel some with my job which is usually when the weight shows up. And yeah, I've been to the ER fearing I had a heart attack which turned out to be acid reflux. I think a dry month would be very beneficial to me. Maybe once my current stash of beer is consumed, it will be time to do it. That will be tough because the group I ride with does pub crawls. Then again, there are several people who don't drink that come along for the camaraderie and drink water or soda.

Part of my problem currently is the acid reflux. It tends to get worse with increased weight, although the time I went to the ER was when I was at my low weight (we were on vacation and I ate some things I normally wouldn't... and because of the weight loss I was no longer medicating for the reflux).

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."