View Single Post
Old 08-12-11, 08:58 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
Does anyone not like them? I tried some with the built-in bar-ends. I wanted to like them. But I've since gone back to regular old round grips. I did not like the way that the flat area impeded my ability to wrap my fingers completely around the bar for a good grip. I also felt the flat area sort of forced me into a single position on the bike.
As said elsewhere, this (like pretty much everything in cycling) comes down to personal preference. Some people just don't get on with Ergons, just as (for example) some people just don't like either flat bars or drop bars (easy to find endless, pointless discussions on the latter topic!).

I switched to Ergons years ago, just after they first appeared, and wouldn't use anything else. FWIW, it does take some fiddling to get the right angle, but once found they do what they claim -- relieve pressure/stress on the wrists and on the nerves in the palm -- for me, and many others. Some, OTOH, notice no difference at all, or come to dislike them.

Oddly, though (just an aside), I find that Ergons (I use them with separate bar ends) allow me lots of variation in hand position: in effect, duplicating the 'on the tops, on the corners, on the hoods' sequence of drop-bars, but with the control position (shifting/braking) 'on the tops'.