Old 08-13-11, 03:42 AM
Dakota82

Bikes: Cheap Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain
Unfortunately bicycle manufacturers do not measure their bikes the same way as I alluded to in my previous post. I prefer, as do many performance back ground riders, the smaller end of my fit range. If you are an average proportioned 5-9 then I suspect you could ride a CC in a 52cm as a good fit. I am not quite 5-11 and average proportions (and shrinking) and I like my CC in the 54cm.

Frankly, I measure frame size based on effective top tube length center to center, my Cross Check measures a long 56cm top tube even though Surly calls it a 54cm frame. All of my bikes have an average 56cm top tube center to center regardless of the stand over BS or seat tube length.

Here is another thing, the larger the frame within your fit range, the lower the saddle will be in relation to the bars, the smaller frame will have a higher saddle in relation to the bars. A long frame can stretch you out, at some point it gets too long and you have to start using little bitty short stems to make up, then I would say the frame is too big.
Thank you for helping me out with dimensions. I looked up what "top tube" is and stand over height; that helps me start getting a concept of the differences of dimensions a bike has and more of an idea of what I am looking for.

One of these days I think I am gonna go to school to learn more about bicycles. I heard there is some job that bicycle mechanics, was it, that make a decent living. For now, I think I will just go volunteer at my local shop in town.