Old 08-15-11, 04:42 PM
jeneralist 

Bikes: DOST Kope CVT e-bike; Bilenky Ti Tourlite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 23 Posts
I'm an Athena. My bike is a Clyde.

Getting ready for a tour next week, hoping to ride the P'tit Train du Nord trail up in Quebec. So I'm looking over my bike, making sure that I give it all the little upgrades that I need to for the ride.

Start with a Cannondale Adventure 400: hybrid/city bike with a front suspension fork. Add a rear rack and a front bag for riding around town. Add some fenders for commuting along an unpaved MUP. Don't forget the lights. And because I live in Philadelphia, give it a hefty U-lock, as well. (I have the Adventure 400 after I learned the hard way that the lock I used to have wasn't good enough for Philly!)

Then get it ready for the tour. Get the front rack out of storage, and add it to the bike. Track down a nifty set of water bottle mounting brackets and a side-entry bottle holder, so that I can (finally!) carry two bottles of water on my almost-mixty frame.

Now: no panniers, yet. The water bottles haven't been filled. The tent and the sleeping bag haven't been strapped to the rack. Just the bike (OK, the bike & the fenders & the racks & the lock -- but I think of it as just the bike).

Forty pounds.

No wonder I don't like hills!

My goal is for me, the bike, and the luggage to weigh less than just I did this time two years ago. I'll keep you posted.