View Single Post
Old 06-29-05, 10:36 AM
closetbiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Breaking it down

I've always commuted to work on my bike and I've run the odd errand on my bike as well. Still, I feel as though I should run more errands on my bike if I can.

I enjoy cycling and often it's faster, cheaper, and more convienent than the car but I still do run most errands in the car.

After Ken Kifer died, as a new years resolution, I decided to note on my bike miladge log, the errands I run on my bike. Nothing too anal. Just an E highlighted by a green felt pen, to be easily visable at a glance to see just how many errands I do run on my bike over the course of the year.

Recently, I decided to keep track of the errands I run in my car. Maybe some of those I could do on the bike, so I've tried to do a break down of the car errands to see if I can run more on my bike.

The restrictions that I have broken down are,

1) passengers - most often I'll run errands with 1 or 2 others

2) cargo - I know I can buy a trailer, but I can fit a lot of volume and weight in the car

3) weather - in pouring rain, or strong windy days, it's just easier to return the video in the car

4) entertainment - there are just some events where you have to primp and coddle yourself

5) long distance / time considerations - short rides locally can be done, but sometimes riding 2 hours to do something that can be accomplished in 30 minutes leaves you time to do other things

I'm going to note on a pad my errands in the car to see if most of them fall under these catagories.