Old 08-21-11, 09:28 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Really? why? is this something unique to newer designed cranks?

The reason I ask such silly questions is because I have a bike with over 150,000 miles on using Suntour Superbe crankset and bottom bracket and it has never come loose.
Maybe I should have said "any crank can get loose"

You're preaching to the choir with regard to square taper cranks. All my cranks are square taper Campy, Spb Pro and XC Pro, and like you I've never had any problems, though I may have had to snug one up once. Nor have I ever had to replace a BB component in over 100,000 miles.

But ask any dealer and he'll confirm that cranks do loosen, especially lower cost cranks. While the various spline drive versions are claimed to superior in this regard my experience and observations don't bear this out.

The point is that if a loose crank is dealt with promptly, it'll be OK, if ignored it only gets worse. I also should add that there's no excuse for riding a loose crank since they announce themselves very plainly with a once or twice per pedal revolution click or creak.

When I worked retail folks would come in with cranks beat beyond salvage. I'd ask them if didn't they hear or feel the movement, and invariably they say yes, it's been going on for months.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 08-21-11 at 09:44 AM.