View Single Post
Old 08-22-11, 03:21 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Nice article on Phil Gaimon.
Great guy. I passed him many times on the local rail trail. A "pro" doesn't have to "win" on the MUP. He was doing his ride and I was doing mine. What he can do on a bike is only in my dreams.

Nice to hear from Bobby Sweeting as well. Super nice guy and a graduate of my department. I was his "High Honors" advisor. (I figure that the fact that he graduated high honors is public record and does not disclose confidential student record information and hence violate Federal Law. There was a commencement and it was publicly announced, etc.)

The one time that both Bobby and Phil showed up for the local "world's" ride is legendary. Phil was a regular and Bobby had never done one. Bobby told me that he was going to do one once before leaving town just to say that he had done this locally legendary ride. Word got out and Thin Phil (as we call him around Gainesville) shows up with Zipps and shoe covers. It was "game on" at a level that I had not seen before. About 15 miles into that I said "no mas" because I had a race coming up and didn't want to leave everything on the road that day just to suck wheel. After a few more miles I would have been toast anyway.