View Single Post
Old 08-22-11, 03:28 PM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Moulton TSR-2 mods New SRAM A2 Automatic

As a fan of 2 speed hubs in general and specifically the older Sachs Duomatic Automatic 2 speed hub from the '70s, I've been eagerly awaiting the release of the brand new SRAM A2 automatic. There are two versions available in the US, a coaster brake and non-coaster brake hub... I chose the coaster brake version as it would literally drop into my TSR-2 Moulton belt drive bike.. I like the hub .. the coaster brake is excellent, not grabby, easy to modulate, and plenty of stopping power.. the hub itself is fairly quiet (some pawl clicking) and runs pretty freely.. the shifting is predictable and quick... as stock, it shifted at about 7mph on the 406 platform.. I took the hub apart as I did with my past Sach units and modified it to shift at just under 14mph.. just right for my style of riding..

I built a couple of new wheels for my TSR-2 using a 24h Velocity Aerohead in the rear and a Velocity 20h paired spoke in the front.. from the stock configuration with the Sturmey S2C and 1.5x406 Primos to the Velocity/SRAM/Kojacks, I shed a little over 2lbs... The new SRAM automatic is also slated to be seen on the not yet released Tern Duo.. I can see where this hub might get popular..