View Single Post
Old 08-22-11, 07:25 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5778 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
There's no easy one size fits all answer to how often to lubricate a chain. It depends on the specific lube you're using, and the conditions you're riding in. It can be anywhere from once a day, to once a week to once in a blue moon. the important thing is that you keep it lubes so it runs smoothly, quietly and doesn't wear out.

As for the click, search mysterious or weird click on this forum and you'll see how wide the field is.

But let's assume for the moment that it's simple. If it's clean fairly click once per pedal revolution, and happens only on the outer or middle chainring, then it might be as simple as the chain touching the tooth after the shift gate on the chainring. This is very common on fairly new bikes, and is totally normal and benign.

If it isn't that, start by noting the frequency of clicking.

once (or twice) per crank revolution, usually as your feet come over the top, then check pedals, cleats, bottom bracket, loose chainring bolts, and the list goes on, including a loose saddle clamp.

once per wheel revolution while pedaling only, then it's probably a cassette issue (this is a rare situation)

once every 3 or 4 crank revolution, it's in the chain. Probably a damaged link, could also be a stiff link.

That's the primer, and it might not be any of these, but the first step is to note the frequency because it'll tell you where to look.

Have fun.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 08-22-11 at 07:29 PM.