View Single Post
Old 08-22-11, 09:03 PM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Ex Pres
1. you probably don't need to remove the old glue, it gets activated by putting new glue on it, but if it's really dried out then
2. wire (brass) wheel on a cordless drill if your friend, and
3. I use my finger in the corner of a baggie. It's really not a mess at all.
+1

I rode for many years on tubulars - still do - and I think glue is the way to go. I have had many punctures and when I 'flat' I just pull the punctured tubular off and stretch the replacement on. I pre-glue my spare so it attaches to the rim, which still has glue on it, and check the adhesion when I get home. Occasionally I have found a replaced tubular that doesn't need re-gluing as it has positively adhered to the rim on the ride but usually I have needed to re-glue the replacement tubular at home to achieve a secure grip to the rim. I carry a tube of glue with me and use it if I think the replacement tubular is not going to be safe to carry on riding on.

As stated before - be careful of corners but I have never had a tyre roll off a rim when I have replaced a tubular out on a ride.

Fixing the punctured tubular is quite a job but it can be done if you have the time and inclination.