View Single Post
Old 08-25-11, 07:24 PM
just4tehhalibut

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
February is when Perth gets the stinking hot easterly winds and days straight of 40 degrees C. Look up what wind patterns are happening on the Nullabor at that time (as that'll be the most critical stretch of your journey) but bear in mind that even if the typical pattern says 'tailwind' you could be hit with a week of malicious headwind. And unlike the UK most towns in Australia, particularly in WA, are far apart. On the Nullabor you'll have nearly 200km between roadhouses and the prices for water and those snacks that you'll crave will be more malicious than the winds that kept you at a snail's pace getting to each stop. Carry lots of water, cover up and use sun screen. Watch for roadtrains and tourist buses.

And otherwise, if you're a lizard like me and soak up the heat, enjoy. I'll be off soon on a tour from Perth to Norseman via an old track that once broke my touring bike, then Esperance and slowly back into the timber and wineries of the South West. You might also consider the same, that there are more ways to Perth once you get to Norseman than just the Great Eastern Highway.

Last edited by just4tehhalibut; 08-25-11 at 07:26 PM. Reason: typo typicality