Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1307 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HHH reports?

A very mixed bag for me and my crew.

For me, it was going to be my first century, but my rear wheel, which had broken a couple of spokes over the last month, just came apart on those chip and seal roads (it should be flat out illegal to make roads like that). I had to park it at mile 29.6 when what I guess was the 4th spoke broke and the tire started rubbing the frame. After waiting a bit, I got a ride from a nice lady who I gathered was running support for her fiance and his friends. There was a mechanic at the rest stop I was like a mile and a half from. Unfortunately, he didn't have a freewheel removal tool and could only true the wheel to a usable point and send me on my way.

I pressed on, but I had lost a LOT of time and by the time I got away from the stop, all the quick people were way ahead and I didn't have any groups to ride with. So I was just pushing 20+ mph on the chip and seal by myself and passing people. Probably from mile 40 on, my right hand was really numb. It didn't stop until after the 5th rest stop when it ran through that small town with beautifully smooth roads. I think I'll give my bars an extra layer of cork next year, not to mention examining my bike fit (I put too much weight forward).

I got to Hell's Gate and they had closed it at 11, ten minutes before I rolled in. My wheel had gotten worse and my hind quarters were sore, so I decided if I wasn't allowed to finish the 100 mile course, I just didn't want to bother. So I sagged it in. Part of me wishes I had just taken the shorter route, but the other part knows I would have just further destroyed the wheel and be stuck on the side of the road at mile 75 or something. But up until that point, I was averaging 17.5 mph, which is decent for me. I felt pretty good aside from the soreness and would have pushed to finish the 100 mile route even with the bad wheel. I MUST take my revenge next year... Maybe I'll actually train next time, too.

My riding buddy originally flatted at mile 6.25 or something silly and his tire was actually toast. I waited for a bit, but it became apparent he was SOL for the time being, so I left. Just as I got the car ride to the 3rd rest stop, he texted me and said he was there. Some guy had given him his spare tire, so he was back in the game. He did great and was at a 20.2 mph moving average at Hell's gate, but he hit a wall at about mile 78 and had to make lots of rest stops and take it easy. All told, he was out for just over 8 hours, but only 5.5 hours of seat time. It was his first full century after doing the metric last year.

Another friend got a ride in my car with me to the event sort of last minute. He hadn't done too many long rides previous, but made Hell's gate (we started at about 6:15, maybe 6:30 across the start/finish) and suffered it out until the end. All told, he was out there almost 10 hours, though. I was glad he pulled it off.

Two of my friends had ridden out there 120 miles the previous day and still did the 100 mile route. One of them caught us at the third rest stop after starting about half an hour later. He's a former racer, so we expected as much. However, he did end up being out there a really long time. Maybe something like 8-9 hours? We chalked it up to the long ride the day before.

The other friend, and you'll all love this one, did the 120 miles there, the 100 mile route the net day (not sure how long it took her) and then did a Tri on Sunday where she finished first in her classification. Hard. Core.

So, how did everybody else do?