Old 09-03-11, 03:50 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
Yes and No.

The valve itself is unaffected by pumping, and until a few years ago neither was the tube. That's because the valves had fairly large metal base flanges which kept them from pulling through or wiggling in the rim. Over the years this base flange was eliminated and replaced by a molded rubber cone which glues the valve to the tube. Unfortunately to save dough, many makers have shortened the metal portion of the valve so it ends about 1/8" short of the tube. That means that the high stress zone where the valve passes through the rim is all rubber and it's no longer rare for valves to be broken off when hand pumping, or pulled out when the pump is disconnected.

Double wall rims give a bit of extra support, so breakage is less likely, but some extra care is still called for.

I ride tubulars (which still have base-flanged valves) on my road bike and remove the Silca hand pump by giving it a hard punch with the side of my fist to knock it off the valve. I made the mistake of doing that on my 26" PV commuter only have the valve come off with the pump.

I now shop tubes very carefully checking the base of the valve juncture with the tube.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.