View Single Post
Old 09-07-11, 02:35 AM
paperbackwriter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't call Wiggins boring. Cadel Evans was boring in the past, rarely attacking in the strictest sense AND afraid to come to the front and work. Wiggins on the other hand was willing to risk blowing up and do a lot of tempo setting at the front since the second mountain stage- and at one point or the other, he cracked almost all of his opponents, many of which are better climbers. It was impressive and exciting to watch, especially on Covatilla where all of sudden you saw Scarponi, Moreno, Rodriguez, Nieve, Menchov and finally also Van den Broeck and Nibali being dropped. Such riding IMO is more gutsy than what many explosive climbers usually do- way better than Schlecks' half-hearted 2 seconds attacks and them constantly showing others to take a pull. It's true he doesn't have Contador's acceleration but in it doesn't make him boring. It's also how for example an in-form Ivan Basso climbs, first Szmyd comes to the front and then Basso takes over and rides everyone off his wheel. Wiggo is just a lesser climber so he can't win on the mountains like Zoncolan (or Angliru) with that... and is actually pretty unlikely to win on any MTF, he usually takes someone who has a better finish for a ride.
But it's Froome who should attack, not Wiggins, who should rather help to make the selection. (I doubt they're capable of doing 1-2.) Though hurting Cobo will be very hard since the climb is so short and not really suited to them. Also, Cobo lives in this area which can make him even more comfortable.

As for the length of the stage. Shorter stage doesn't have to mean more exciting racing, if everyone is fresh for the final climb that on top of it isn't so hard- you are more likely to see all the favourites crossing the line together as no one will be able to get away. The most exciting stage this year was Giro stage to Gardeccia- 229 kms, multiple climbs, pretty much up and down all the way. Of course nothing particularly important happened until Passo Giau (the climb started after about 150 km of riding) but earlier climbs broke almost all of the domestiques and wore out some of the leaders, only thanks to that insane attacks started so early and could stick for some time. If anything, Vuelta lacks stages like that, that would have more tough climbs and open bigger differences.

Today, I won't be surprised if Cobo wins again. At first I thought maybe Purito should set up Moreno, if his injuries allow him to do anything. But on the other hand if he still thinks about points jersey, he has to win, Sagan will have more opportunities. Or maybe Poels will finally win the stage? Also, will Nibali try on the descent?