View Single Post
Old 09-07-11, 11:57 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2360 Post(s)
Liked 1,005 Times in 594 Posts
Originally Posted by guygadois View Post
I was able to purchase a rough shape 1985 Trek 420 with the thought of making it my next everyday bike. The paint is very doing but the frame is straight with no rust. It also has so many cool details that some later Treks just dont have (this is my first Trek). I realize it is a low end frame but it seems pretty nice, quality build wise. I am lucky to have a wonderful frame builder close by to help add a few things on it to 'update' it.

Has anyone added canti stubs to this frame? The frame builder said that it has a 'fastback' arrangement on the rear triangle which may make the spacing difficult. I am also looking to cold set it to 130mm, add shifter braze-ons and a brake bridge for the cantis.

After this is all done I'll have it stripped and powder coated. The existing paint is beyond anything worth keeping. Believe me. Now, I just need to find the head age and maybe some decals?

GG

I had a Mangalloy framed 84 420 that was a great bike- I'm sure conventional logic is that the True Temper frame is "better," but I REALLY liked that bike regardless of where it sat in the food chain.

I had the Z series brakes on that bike- and they were as fine as any other brakes. The only "upgrade" I'd consider dumping money into on that bike would be getting rid of the Helicomatic.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.