View Single Post
Old 09-08-11, 11:38 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
How can you see the reason behind a bid withdrawal? I've had a couple of scares lately when I've been outbid on something with a couple of days to go so I go on and buy what I wanted from another source for the price I want and suddenly with an hour or so left I get an e-mail saying that the bid was withdrawn and I'm now the high bidder. Fortunately, in every case there's a bidding war with a couple of minutes left that wins it, but a lot of times it's something moderately expensive that I don't want two of. I know I shouldn't bid so early, but I figure that's the max I'll pay so whatever and then when I'm outbid, I figure it's a binding contract that the person can't get out of so I'm off the hook and should go buy what I want from another source. Sure there are good deals and hard to find things on e-bay, but I often find it's not worth the hassle and good deals are harder and harder to come by.
Yet another reason to snipe. You can cancel as long as you're still outside the proscribed end-of-auction time parameter. For the service I use I believe it's 6 minutes. The only reason I can see for not sniping is if you're worried about losing something with a BIN option.