View Single Post
Old 09-08-11, 03:57 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by desertdork
I'm probably more practical than what you'd consider cheap. It's the economy.

But, if you looked at my bar tape right now, you'd say I'm cheap. It's looking rather tattered now,...bad enough that I fear cleaning it might be the end of it now. The rest of the bike looks just great, though. Just the tape makes me look like a sketchy character.

Oh, regarding that tape. It's Lizard Skins DSP, the stuff recommended by the LBS that had it marked above msrp. While comfortable, its longevity has been disappointing. At 2k, it looked sad. Now, at 3300, it looks pathetic. A $38 lesson. But, I'm gonna ride it until I can't stand it any longer. Call me cheap.

Other....

9-sp has financial appeal. I'll be putting my new 10-sp components up for sale.

Long rides call for fig bars, bananas, and dates. I've only once bought any food on any one-day ride.

I still ride a pair of SPD shoes with near 25k miles on them. Same cleats, too. How many road cleats would I have replaced by now?

I carry a mini-pump. CO2 adds up over time.

I'll patch at tube until it can't be patched anymore. I patch on the road, and I've only installed a new tube on the road on one occasion (valve broke).

Sheesh, maybe I am cheap.
Don't own any 9 speed rears, 5, 6 and 7 are as far as I will go. Also have several Sturmey Archer 3 speeds, newest one is almost 40 years old.
I use cloth tape that lasts for years and only costs $4 a roll if that. I may try hockey stick tape next go around, I can get it for free. Don't use special shoes, ride in indoor soccer shoes that I bought at the thrift store for $3.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon