Old 09-11-11, 05:15 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,423 Posts
Not seeing the wheel it's hard to advise, but here's some hints that might help you decide whether you should leave well enough alone.

On rear wheels the left spokes will average roughly 60% of the tension of the right. Any increase in average tension on the left, without changing the right will pull the rim to the left.

Also understand that adjusting the right side will tend to have greater radial effects than the left, and the left will tend to affect wobble more. That means that even minor changes in left side tension will tend to pull the rim to the left and require significant compensating adjustment of the right spokes, possibly pulling a hop into the wheel.

As you can see, it can be very easy to introduce uneven tension on an otherwise good wheel. I always operate under the rule that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But if you decide to go ahead, go slowly, take up slack, but if the rim responds by moving left, back off until it's back where it started.

I understand you want to get started learning, but in your shoes, I'd enjoy the wheel as it is for as long as possible, and start learning when it needs service.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.