View Single Post
Old 09-11-11, 05:26 PM
windsorpro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well it looks like I found the right thread!

I have four Legnano's at various states of restoration. This is the most recent, a blue Gran Premio . . . yes Legnano did make one or two other colors. This bike was just acquired from the west coast, the orginal bike shop sticker is still on it from the Hidden Valley Bicycle Store in Escondido, California which opened in 1961 and is still a going concern today from the look of their web site. And based on the serial number for this Gran Premio . . . it must have been one of it's early sales.

What really stumped me for a bit were the wheels on this Leganano. Well actually the hubs. As you can see in the pic here.

They are three piece hubs, steel centers and alloy flanges that look a lot like the early Campy ones. But the skewers are Simplex . . . and with a bit of looking around . . . so are these hubs . . . laced on very early Fiamme yellow clincher rims. That's right . . . French hubs and Italian rims on an ITALIAN bike. Well with a little more digging around, this is apparently how the bike was shipped and apparently there were one or two other Italian bikes at the time fitted this way.

And here is my favorite Legnano that is about to undergo an extensive restoration by Noah Rosen and Mike Barry at Velocolor here in Toronto. A 1956-1958 Legnano Sportiva that I imported directly from Italy and is 100 percent complete and original. Still has the original Pirelli Stella tires with white sidewalls and light brown tread!

Mark

Last edited by windsorpro; 10-01-11 at 05:24 PM.