Old 09-12-11, 04:34 PM
GipsyKing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LeopoldStotch
Thanks guys, I think I am gonna check out performance for some jerseys. Seat wise I am using a san marco stock seat now, it gets really stiff and hard after like 20 miles and it kills me. I used to have a selle SMP extra that i liked, just wondering if there are any seat that are good for long rides. my budget is 100-150
I'm also in the market, similar budget and needs. I'm looking at SMP Extra, Hybrid and TRK (Strike). Starting to rule out TRK for the 160mm width. Also looking at Terry Fly Ti Gel / Ti Fly Tri Gel, Falcon Y, Liberator Race. I am 6'1 and 180 lbs, medium build.

Fly and LR have 147mm widths which I'm thinking might be just right for me, but I like the long slot on the SMPs and the downward nose. I sometimes catch my cheaper shorts on my current stock Fuji (Velo) hatchet.

What did you think of your SMP for long rides (~40-60 miles)?

FWIW, all of these have been noted in numerous user reviews as being great for long rides (40m-century). I couldn't find a whole lot of comments on Liberator Race, but it's nearly same spec as the Fly. Also keep in mind they each have a few detractors...to be expected.

The major structural difference between these that I can see online (haven't seen any in person) is the Terrys are traditonal flat surfaced with very slightly dropped noses; the SMPs are obviously that dramatically dropped shape. And some key measurement differences. All are between 140mm and 147mm width. And all have the nice space for parts and no pressure.

I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on a 2011 SMP Hybrid, found one via Google from a Korean site (very easy to find and has a coupon on retailmenot). Also at ChainReaction, 2010 model I think there. Performance and other domestic mail-order shops have the rest of the saddles. Post back what you end up getting and whether you're happy with it. I'll be interested to find out.